Temple of Apollo Epicurius
(Distance from Camping - 85Km)
The Temple of Apollo Epicurius at Bassae (meaning "little vale in the rocks") of Figalia is one of the most important and imposing temples of antiquity. The temple was dedicated to Apollo Epikourios ("Apollo the helper") by the Figalians, as he had helped them to recover the epidemic of plague. The temple sits at an elevation of at 1130 meters above sea level in the northeastern part of Messenia Perfecture, on the slopes of the mountains among Helia, Messenia and Arcadia, and is 85 km far from Marathoupolis. Its construction is placed between 450 BCE and 400 BCE and it was designed by Iktinos, architect at Athens of the Temple of Parthenon. This best conserved monument of universal importance was the first Greek site to be inscribed on the World Heritage List of Unesco in 1986.